Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Grace and Brothels

We all need the same grace. I said in my last post that I lack humility. I have sins and make mistakes that I have deemed "acceptable". I live in the U.S. and do what I'm supposed to do so I must be a good Christian. God must be really relieved that he doesn't have to give me as much grace. The nails probably didn't hurt as hard for me as they did for other people. NO. We all need the same grace and redemption. Jesus didn't have to die more for someone else than my sin. Every sin and mistake I make or have to make is a crushing blow, another lash of the whip, another nail in the hand. But it gets better. I've been learning so much about grace this past year, how much I need it, how much we all need it and how much I need to give it to others. To live a life marked by the grace, forgiveness and redemption of an extraordinary God.

I was reminded of this in a conversation I had a little over a month ago.

A few friends and I were discussing India and Hinduism came up. As we talked about how devout the followers were and how they would give everything for their religion. In passing someone commented "Yeah, they're so devout then they sell their own little girls."
The conversation continued but that single sentence stuck with me. What desperation must these people be in that the only option they see is to traffick another person, their own children?
Yes, I realize this example is pretty extreme.
But it's so easy to judge and compare.
But I don't know their situation.
I don't know that desperation. I have lived in such comfort my entire life.
That you can only get something to eat by selling your son into bonded labor or a daughter into a brothel.
Yes. It makes me so incredibly angry. But I know God sees their plights and their pain. He has compassion. He's a good dad. He's a God of justice that I can't comprehend. This doesn't mean that people will be punished, but rather responds with the same love, grace and redemption that he showed on the cross.
 I don't understand why or how human trafficking happens, but that's why God is God and I am not. That's why we all need the same grace.
If I ever think that I can't relate to someone, or just need a slice of humble pie, please remind me of God's grace and this post.
I need His grace. Daily. Just as much as the next person, even if that person in half-way across the world.

                                                    With Love,
                                                      Kaitlyn

1 comment: