Monday, October 1, 2012

Wi-Fi Passwords and Krishna Lunches

          I still have the tiny slip of paper on which the Wi-Fi password to the second hostel where we stayed in Delhi is written. It's tucked away in my laptop sleeve and occasionally, when I pull out my computer in class to take notes or to finish homework, it falls out too. I notice the meticulous handwriting of each number, even though it's now pretty folded and crumbled up. There's nothing particularly special about it either. Just a series of numbers written ever so carefully by the hand of the Indian man who quietly worked at the front desk and would timidly smile at each American as they bounced through the lobby each morning. It's a useless password. I don't have it memorized and I doubt that I'll ever be in that same hostel in the near future, but time after time, I reach to find a crumpled up sheet of paper in my bag.It's comforting and the ink on the page is a connection to the country that holds my heart.

         One of my dear sorority sisters has a huge heart for the country of Uganda. The other day, she told me something that really resonated with me. She said after she came home from Uganda, she realized how personal and deep our relationship with God is. She was reminded that her heart was created to love the people of Uganda, and they were created in the image of God for such a time as this, and she to live in communion with them, even when they were all simply going about their daily lives thousands of miles away. This is how I feel about India.

         Every day, I am reminded of what I've learned there. From walking to class and hearing Indian students speak in their native tongues, to passing by Krishna lunch in Plaza of the Americas everyday,  (Though I still don't think my stomach can handle anything that resembles Indian food.) to a Bollywood song randomly coming up on my ipod, I am reminded of the beautiful, complex and at times confusing culture of India.

To make a long story short, I miss India. Each day, with each small reminded I'm given of India, I'm reminded to keep an eternal perspective. This is a verse in Deuteronomy that I read this morning. It reminded me so much about India, especially since for the month of October, that's the country I'm praying for. Regardless of the country I'm in, it was such a good reminder that I was not made for this world, but each place I go I am called there for a purpose; to bring the kingdom a little closer each day.
"makes sure orphans and widows are treated fairly, takes loving care of foreigners by seeing that they get food and clothing.
You must treat foreigners with the same loving care—
remember, you were once foreigners in Egypt.
Reverently respect God, your God, serve him, hold tight to him,
back up your promises with the authority of his name.
He’s your praise! He’s your God!
He did all these tremendous, these staggering things
that you saw with your own eyes." Deuteronomy 10:18-21
        

No comments:

Post a Comment