Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fifteen Minutes of Fame

Yesterday I ate a meal off a banana leaf without any silverware, signed a bunch of "autographs", was an honored guest at an Indian school  and to top it all off, was on a national Indian news program. The hospitality in India has been overwhelming and visiting Sethu Bhaskara school was no different.

Definitely things that can be crossed off my unexpected bucket list.

I couldn't stop smiling the entire day because the look on every child's face was pure elation and SBS was a prime example of vision and purpose at work. I've come to the conclusion that at least in south India, if you're white, because it's so uncommon in a non-tourist city like Chennai, Indians bend over backwards for you. It's incredibly endearing and I'm immeasurably appreciative of it, because as college students we don't deserve it in the slightest.

It's difficult for me to really capture everything that's happened over the past seven days, but my friend Stacy wrote a great post about yesterday's events:
No Autographs Please

No comments:

Post a Comment